jillgoes

jillgoes

Monday, May 7, 2012

Mattresses, Gambling and Salesmen

The decision was finally made:  we would go shopping for and purchase a new mattress. Although the present one was not really that old, there were two obvious "body dents," and those dents were causing every-morning backaches for the husband/lover/best friend and me.  It is a pillow-top mattress, meaning we could rotate it every few months but not flip it.  So we went to our local Sleepy's Mattress Store to do business with THE MATTRESS PROFESSIONALS.

Plenty of choices

The whole process was stressful to me and here's why:

I am not a GAMBLER.
I do not like GAMBLING.
BUYING A BED is GAMBLING,  therefore I do not like BUYING BEDS.
However, today I BOUGHT A BED.
Therefore, I am A GAMBLER.

(I only like the penny slots at Vegas.)

On arrival at Sleepy's the hungry circling barracuda polite salesman greeted us and gave us a "highly scientific test" in order to determine what type of mattress would best suit each of us.  Here you see Bob taking his test, where apparently hundreds of probes or sensors or something inside this bed are "reading your body and your sleep style."


The concept of having a mattress with two different firmnesses is actually brilliant, though very expensive.  I took the test and results showed we both need a very firm mattress.


So now we know what kind of bed we need, let's go pick our mattress.   But wait.  Salesmen!  I need to go on a roll about salesmen.

I tell the salesman that we DO NOT WANT a pillow-top mattress.
Here is the first mattress he wanted us to lay on:

Do you see the pillow-top?
I tell the salesman AGAIN that we DO NOT WANT a pillow-top.
He takes us to a second pillow-top.
I tell the salesman A THIRD TIME that we DO NOT WANT a pillow-top.
He finally shows us something else.
Bob tells me to leave him alone for a while while he takes a nap. 
I smack him.
We pick a mattress.
The salesman asks us if we need new pillows.
I say JUST ONE for Bob, because I love my pillow and don't need a new one.
He writes the order up for TWO.
He also says we will need to buy one of those plastic bag type mattress sleeves that make me drown in my own sweat "moisture-wicking mattress protectors."
I say I don't want one.
He says the warranty won't be valid without one.
I say I will die.
He says "OK I will throw it in for free."
I will die.

Anyway, the order was placed, and we were assured that we are in for the best sleeping of our lives and blah blah blah, and by that time I was so cranky that we ended up going on OUR HOT DATE (see yesterday's post) just to calm ourselves down.

It's no wonder that salesmen get the reputations they get.

I can only hope that our latest GAMBLE will result in better SLEEP.   At least we crossed one item off of our Things TO Do list.

12 comments:

  1. Kathy kept saying we couldn't afford a new mattress but when she finally started waking up as sore as I was she gave in. We were shown one that was too hard and another that was too soft then finally the one that was just right (Sounds like Goldilocks and the three bears doesn't it). Now we both wish we had made the Investment (not gamble) sooner.

    The new mattress cover actually helps Kathy with her night sweats. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The decision was finally made: we would go shopping for and purchase a new mattress. http://www.bestmattress-brand.org/review-of-top-7-adjustable-bed-brands/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign!
    cool memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    best foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    adjustable bed frame

    ReplyDelete
  6. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
    best mattress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    best beds

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    best beds

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work.
    best way to fix a firm mattress

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work.
    best way to fix a firm mattress

    ReplyDelete
  11. When it comes to redefining comfort, Repose mattresses are the ultimate choice, and you'll find them at the Repose mattress store in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mattress showrooms in Chennai is not just a shopping expedition; it's a discovery of comfort and a journey towards a better night's sleep. The diverse array of options, personalized service.

    ReplyDelete