jillgoes

jillgoes

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Commencement 2012 by the Numbers

I recently received a publication from my alma mater, Bucknell University, that included an article describing its May 2012 graduation.

The nation's largest private liberal arts university, Bucknell University was founded in 1846 and is dedicated to providing a top-notch educational experience.  I found that to be true during my four years studying there.

According to its website, "Bucknell educates men and women for a lifetime of critical thinking and strong leadership, characterized by continued intellectual exploration, creativity, and imagination."

The article I read was basically a reflection of various numbers relative to this year's graduation.  Since I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, the article grabbed me like a magnet.

Here are some of the impressive numbers, and can you tell I am swelling with a bit of pride for my school?

There were 880 graduating seniors.

There were 37 seniors graduating summa cum laude.

There have been 162 commencement ceremonies held at Bucknell.

There were 276 bouquets of flowers purchased by the college.

There were 7000 chairs set up on the Academic Quad where the ceremony is held.

There were 2 LED screens.

There were 13 student ambassadors.

There were 2 standing ovations (for commencement speaker Anna Quindlen and student speaker Odeke Ekirapa '12).


Congratulations, Bucknell graduates!  Go Bison!

No comments:

Post a Comment