My husband/lover/best friend and I sat and reminisced, and here are some of our happy and precious memories :
1. Playing hopscotch with my neighborhood girlfriends with a real shoe heel for a marker.
2. Playing outside till after dark.
3. Playing jacks on the porch with the girls. We each had our own set.
4. Skimming a bicycle rim down the street and watching the sparks fly.
5. Making miniature cliff dwellings in the side of a bank of dirt.
6. Spending all afternoon at the community pool with friends. (And then setting my watch back so I wouldn't get in trouble for being late to dinner.)
7. Digging dirt out of the creek to make "pottery."
8. Arts and crafts at the local playground.
9. Bible School at the END of the summer, NOT right after public school ended. The snacks were the best part.
10. Draping a blanket over the picnic table, and camping out in our "tent" overnight.
11. Swinging so high the whole swing set would "jump."
12. Catching fireflies and putting them in jars. Later smearing them on our earlobes to have lit-up earrings.
13. Neighborhood "double dutch" rope jumping.
14. Selling Girl Scout cookies, without a grownup along.
15. Cool-aid stands for 5 cents a cup.
16. Rollerskating with the key on a necklace.
17. Weaving plastic lanyards.
18. Taking our collection of nets and buckets down to the creek to catch and bring home wildlife.
19. Decorating the bicycle with red, white, and blue crepe paper for the 4th of July parade.
20. The almost annual family vacation to the New Jersey beach.
21. Going along with mom to the market on Friday and buying meats AND CANDY.
22. "Painting" the sidewalk with a bucket of water and a paint brush.
23. Walking a half mile to a tiny neighborhood store to buy 25 cents worth of penny candy, and eating most of it on the way home.
24. Watching Jackie Gleason every Saturday night after bath time.
25. Saturday afternoon at the matinee movies with Dad - Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, and the Three Stooges. Giggling. A lot.
Those summers were long days full of fun, friends, and never ending adventures. What fond memories do you have of your summers? Please write and let us enjoy some of yours!