jillgoes

jillgoes

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Let's Talk About Nik Wallenda

Nik Wallenda, member of the legendary tightrope-walking Wallenda family, fulfilled a lifelong dream on Friday night, June the 15th, when he became the first person to walk across Niagara Falls on a high wire.

I am not a news reporter, so why exactly am I writing about this dangerous feat of daring?  I'll be honest.  It is because I learned a new word in one of the accounts I read about it.  (I know it doesn't take much to charge me up.)

Funambulist = a tightrope walker

So technically Nik is a seventh generation funambulist.  


According to the reports, Nik walked over the water on a two inch line from the United States to Canada.  I didn't even think of this until I learned it in the article, but even a celebrity like Wallenda must think of his travel details.  He carried his passport in a protected pocket of his outfit, and was required to immediately present it to the authorities at the end of the stunt.

Nik Wallenda, a true daredevil
Nik gave some interviews prior to and after the adventure, and specifically talked a lot about the safety tether that ABC news required he have.  I would think that it would be comforting to have one.  However, I am obviously not a FUNAMBULIST because it is exactly the opposite, according to Nik.  Based on his vast experience and success with past tightrope walks, he claims that introducing a harness insinuates that fear should be present, which leads to overcompensation, which can ultimately lead to a fall.
I think you can see the tether behind him, if you look closely.
An amazing feat, done by an amazingly talented man.  I wonder how he will top this one?!

Me?  I'm gonna stay low to the ground.  I can hurt myself down here just fine, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment