Sunday, July 14, 2013
Projects, and More Projects
Probably not. Our house was built in the 1890's, and so I expect we will always have something that needs to be repaired, replaced, or remodeled.
Just about the time I think we are gonna have a lull in the action (and in the outlay of $$$), there's more work to be done.
Here's what's currently going on in our little piece of the neighborhood:
1. The workmen are in the process of wrapping the eaves and soffits in aluminum. Several weeks ago, we had the ancient, and in-much-need-of-repair, roof replaced. This current work is a continuation of that project. It's a noisy business. Lots of banging up there. The crew will be back at it bright and early tomorrow morning. Probably way earlier than I get bright.
2. The husband/lover/carpenter and SIL Lance are working on replacing some of the siding on one of our side walls, in addition to replacing some baseboards that weren't in such good shape. At times, it has sounded as if they were attempting to hammer the foundation right out from under the house. I've just been sitting in here watching the lights flicker and the walls quake, and hoping nothing falls down around me.
3. Yesterday the fence painting crew was here again, to power spray wash the remaining fence sections. Several weeks ago they had washed the whole fence, which borders our entire property. Then they stained about a third of the fence sections, before the rains set in and brought their work to a halt.
Pennsylvania summer weather has interfered since then, with a lot of late in the day storms and generally humid weather. The painters claim to be having trouble with the fence being too wet to finish the staining. I think the painters are having trouble just coming and doing the work. What do I know? I do know that I won't pay for the job until it's done. Unbelievably, we signed the contract way back in August of 2012, so I think this has taken WAY TOO LONG. They SAY they will be back to finish the staining tomorrow. We will see.
4. Son Caleb and SIL Lance are out back painting our garage to match the colors of the house. We had the house painted several years ago. Since then, time just seemed to get ahead of us, and so now it's finally time to catch the garage up to the house.
5. I, too, am doing my own little project in the house. It's a job that needs tending to, and it's something that I can do with my limited mobility. Unfortunately, when I am done with my project, nothing will look different at all.
It's just a humdrum process I'm involved with, sorting through all the files of IMPORTANT PAPERS in my file cabinet, ridding them of outdated warranties and directions, and unnecessary bill stubs and records. My husband, looking over my shoulder one day, commented on how nice it will be to just discard the entire file labeled "Bob's Work Papers" someday in the not too distant future. He is so very anxious to retire. Like yesterday.
At this point, if Mother Nature doesn't interfere too much, we could wrap up all of our project odds and ends in about a week or so.
But really, who am I kidding? I sense Murphy could be lurking right around the corner....