Monday, February 4, 2013
Super Bowl 2013: An Uninformed Woman's Perspective
Some years we join with friends for the grand event, but this year it was just us at home with each other and the puppy. We didn't even have any spectacular Super Bowl munchies. It was cereal for him and a plate of tortillas with melted cheese for me. And a pig ear for the puppy.
Now I'm not an overly crazed football fanatic. It's just not my sport. I'd much prefer to watch a good judo match, or even a basketball game. In fact, I understand only the very basics of the four downs system and also that a touchdown gets about six points, I think.
So I thought I'd share for you today just some of the random thoughts that rolled around in this lady's head while watching the game last night. Oddly, most of them have very little to do with the actual football game itself.
1. I wonder how much a Super Bowl referee gets paid. Must be quite a lot. Do they need to have training in fighting? They get caught up in some pretty ugly squabbles at times.
3. What is so special about the right shoe of the punter? Those guys look goofy wearing two different shoes.
4. I wonder what percentage of players have no tattoos. Is it a contest to see who can have the most?
5. I had turned the tv on earlier in the day. Sportscasters were already talking about the game about eight hours prior to it. What in the world do they have to talk about for that long?
7. Why do some of those players wear a dish towel hanging out of their pants?
8. What all is up there in those football helmets? Speakers? Music? Snacks?
10. Is it just me, but why do some of the players not look very much like football players? (They just look like fat guys.)
11. The Calvin Klein male underwear commercial was possibly more interesting than the game. Oops - did I say that?
12. Is there such a thing as a technical foul in football? I saw some pretty unkind pushing and shoving going on at times.
13. Where are all the cheerleaders? In years past, they were seen at least every five minutes or so.
15. I learned that a 30 second commercial cost $4 million this year. My favorites were:
Oreo's "Whisper Fight"
Audi's "The Prom"
Best Buy's Amy Poehler's skit
Doritos goat skit
17. Did the Ravens get stupid during the power failure or what?
18. Did Jim and John (brothers and opposing coaches) go out together after the game?
19. A camera shot zoomed in on the parents of Jim and John. I wonder which team they were rooting for?
20. How did the announcer know in that very second that the 109 yard run towards the end of the game was the longest in all of Super Bowl history? Shouldn't he check somewhere before he makes a statement like that?
It's a lot to think about for sure. So many details, but there you have it. I've laid the workings of my little brain out for all to see.
Too bad there were no wardrobe malfunctions this year, though. I could've gone on quite a roll about that, believe you me.