jillgoes

jillgoes

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Picnic Packs

If you've reading my blog for any length of time, you may recall that I have this weird little obsession with decorative washi tape.

So, when I was getting a few necessities at Wal-mart the other day, and came upon several bins of washi tape rolls at the end of the aisle, I found myself in washi tape hog heaven.  At 97 cents for an 8 yard roll, I just couldn't resist.  I bought 6 rolls in various blue patterns.

There are just so many awesome crafty ideas that work with washi tape.  When I saw this idea for picnic packs on Chelsea's blog the other day, (http://www.makinghomebase.com/washi-tape-utensil-holder/) I knew I'd be putting my newly purchased tapes to good use.

This weekend we'll be having a large gathering of friends and relatives in for a Graduation Celebration Open House, and the theme is blue.  Look how easy and cute these are to make:

SUPPLIES:

washi tape
brown paper lunch bags
scissors

DIRECTIONS:

Fold up the bottom of the lunch bag on the crease to create the pocket.

Tape across the front edge of the portion you just folded up.  (Don't tape the pocket shut.)

Tape up the two side edges, front and back.  The front and back tapes will stick together good if you extend them out beyond the edge of the bag by about 1/4 inch.  Trim the ends of the tapes neatly with the scissors.

Here you see a pack that is fully taped, and a napkin being folded to fit.  Lay the napkin on top of the pack while folding the bottom and side edges in to be sure it will fit properly in the pocket.


Load your picnic pack with cutlery, and you are done.


After gathering all the finished packs into a basket, I felt sure they will add a little extra pizzazz to the serving table.


This little craft is simple enough that even young children could be helpful and join in the craftiness.  I can foresee using orange and brown tapes for Fall gatherings, and perhaps red, green, and gold tapes at the Christmas holidays.  The possibilities are many.

I may just have to go back to Wal-mart and check those bargain bins again.

3 comments: