Thursday, May 9, 2013

All in a Day of Crises

I read quite a few blogs written by people who travel frequently, and I am always fascinated to see how these people prepare for their trip departures.  They make their lists, and check 'em twice.  Me, I go and get my nails done.  And my toenails.  And my haircut and color, of course.

So that's why I found myself on the road again, making the hundred mile trip to meet up with daughter Lindsay at the Pure Joy Salon and Day Spa in Manheim, Pennsylvania, where she makes my hair look awesome, and Nicole, my nail girl, spiffs up my nails, too.

I figure a trip down there every six weeks keeps me looking presentable, but really it's an excuse to see my grandkids Ellie and Jarrod.  How I can even wait six weeks, I don't know.  She is just such a doll, and he is the perfect big brother.

So I stole enough snuggles to last me a while took care of my business down there yesterday and then began the drive back home this morning, expecting the usual pleasant two hour drive.

And that is when the crises began, folks.

It all started out smoothly enough, but the "smooth" was short lived.

The first serious phone call came in from Lindsay, notifying me of a complete overhaul of her ongoing cancer management, including a change of medical personnel and some newly scheduled surgery - two weeks from now.  Phew, now that's serious.

Next, daughter #3, Sarah, informed me of her crisis.  She and her husband learned that they will need several hundred dollars worth of car repairs in order for their vehicle to pass inspection, and THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME, she says.  Of course not.

I suppose it was getting to be time for MY crisis, because right about then, I zipped by some sort of an accident advisory sign.  I wasn't able to read it all before I was already beyond it.  Oops.

Apparently there was a very bad accident somewhere near the intersection of PA routes 322 and 81.  A diesel tanker wrecked and went up in smoke and fire.   Everybody, including me, was re-routed way out of our intended routes.

I had been trying to go west, and we were sent east.

I found myself crawling along, sandwiched between tractor trailers on every side.  I exited when I was able.  Ultimately I got lost, and my GPS lady was no help.  Of course she kept telling me to turn around and go back (to the road from which we were banned).  The real trouble for me was that I didn't really know where I was, so even looking at a map wasn't helping.

After pulling into a local business, stating loudly and clearly that I WAS LOST, getting help from some kind folks, and returning to the road, I at least knew I was heading again in a homewards direction.

That, folks, is when the last frantic call came in.  My father was traveling and worrying himself sick about my mother who was left home alone.  He was concerned about the possibility of her falling when she'd go out in their backyard to feed the fish in their small pond, and would I do something about that?  So, some more calls were made and mom promised to take along her cell phone when feeding the fish.

Oh, and one more minor annoyance on this hellish drive home - the car maintenance light came on, just a few miles from home.  THE CAR that is to take us to the airport on Saturday at the crack of dawn.

A trip that usually takes two hours stretched into a 4 1/2 hour marathon, but my day was thankfully lots better than the truck driver's involved in that fiery wreck.  The newspeople say he escaped the accident with minor injuries and nobody was killed.  Seeing the pictures, I find that amazing.

Ah life, it's always something.

And usually, not quite what you were expecting.


  1. Those days can be so overwhelming. I'm glad to hear you're home safe and I hope everything works out for all the kids.

  2. You know the old saying, "when it rains, it pours". Seems to me that you are in the pouring stage. Hope life improves around you and yours soon.