jillgoes

jillgoes

Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Best Dad Ever

My mom and dad
My dad turned 80 this year, and today on this Fathers' Day, I write this blog post in honor of him .

My dad has been the best father a little girl, an adolescent girl, a teenage girl, a young newlywed girl, a young wife, a mother, and a mature woman could have ever wished for.  I cannot even imagine how I got so blessed and hit the JACKPOT when it comes to fathers.

My daddy taught me as a tiny girl to love eating strawberries.

My daddy watched the cartoon "Clutch Cargo" every night with me in our first apartment.

My daddy taught me the joy of catching fish while wearing two pairs of pants.  (He always tirelessly wormed the hooks for me.)

My daddy showed me how to find tadpole globs around the edges of ponds.

My daddy grew fresh vegetables for us in his summer gardens and showed us the "good" worms.

My daddy was agreeable when we wanted a pet raccoon and two ducks and some African clawed frogs.

My daddy paid those whopper bills to Santa, always guaranteeing Christmas was special.

My daddy always griped about the Easter bunny trashing the house with that cellophane grass, but somehow there always was an abundance of candy in my basket in spite of "that darn rabbit."

My dad took us on wonderful memory-making family vacations to the beach, to our cabin in the mountains, and to plenty of other interesting places around our country and the world.

My dad taught me how to spot wildlife, and cultivated my love of the outdoors.

My father trusted me with the car keys when I turned sixteen, but he really taught me how to drive way before then.

My dad always helped me with my math and science homework throughout my schooling, whenever I needed help.

My dad showed me by his example that it's cool to have an insatiable thirst for knowledge.

My dad challenged me, still does, with new words.  To this day, I love finding and learning new ones.

My dad taught me to have perseverance when faced with difficult problems, both in school and in life.

My dad assured me that if I always did my very best, then that was enough.

My father, when I told him I was engaged, expressed joy at gaining another son, rather than sadness at losing a daughter.

My dad showed me by his lifelong example how to love my spouse and my children, unconditionally and forever.  He continues to love the next generations, being involved in the lives of my children and my grandchildren.

My dad is the most generous man I know, and I can only hope to be the same throughout the rest of my life.

My dad taught me how to be a hard worker and to be financially responsible for my family.

My dad lives a life of kindness and forgiveness toward others that I want to follow.

My father, in his own quiet and faithful way, has demonstrated the depth of his relationship with God.

I have always known that there are no limits on my father's love for me, and for that I am so grateful.

Dad, you are the best father I could ever imagine having, and I want you to know that.

I love you, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. That was/a great tribute to your Dad. I am sure he knows you love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete