jillgoes

jillgoes

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Calm Before the Storm

Yesterday and today I've been catching up on all sorts of things around the house, and enjoying the quiet calm before the storm.

There will be company arriving soon, travel to a baby shower, and then four days afterward recuperating at our cabin in the woods.  No cell phone, no WIFI, no blogging.  Just another one of my short term disappearances again.

Daughter Sarah has a pre-natal visit with her obstetrician, and then she and her husband will be driving in from western Ohio tomorrow for the baby shower we have planned for Saturday afternoon.

Daughters Rachel and Lindsay and I have been planning this gala event and working on the details since before Christmas.  As Sarah is approaching her mid-May due date, we expect her belly will make its grand entrance into the baby shower room well before the rest of her.

As of her latest ultrasound exam (today), the doc says the baby boy looks great and is growing nicely.  Currently at 4 pounds and 14 ounces, Sarah wonders if he will be a big baby at birth.  The doc says he is in the 70th percentile for size at this point, and all fluids are good, heart rate is good, blood pressure is good, and finally, Sarah is free to safely make the seven hour drive home for her shower.

Also yesterday, son Caleb and his dog left for an overnight trip up at our cabin on the mountain, leaving the husband/lover/best friend and I here for a rare evening alone together.  We decided to go out on a little quiet date together while we had the chance.  After a simple dinner at a local pizza joint, we headed to the Well Coffeehouse at our church.

The man who manages the coffeehouse is married to a woman I've known for many years.  I clearly remember one night long ago when a friend of hers and I were gathered in her living room. That night she made a radical decision to turn over a new leaf, and she gave her life completely over to Jesus Christ.  What a transformation!  It was almost as if she became lit up from inside.  That was probably 20 some years ago, and she has never gone back to the way she was before.  It's always a pleasure to run into her at the coffeehouse and catch up a bit.

The travel agent who makes many of our travel plans for us is also a part time barista at the coffeehouse, and although she did concoct a delicious minty, latte-ish, coffee type drink for each of us, the real reason we went there was to pick up some of the latest travel brochures she had brought along for us.


It looks like I'll have some fun reading and dreaming and planning in my spare time.  I'm aching to get out and do some traveling and sightseeing, especially after being cooped up throughout this long winter.

In other exciting news,  as I write this my grandtwins are headed for a visit with Mickey Mouse.  Here is the I'm-so-tired-because-I-was-too-excited-to-sleep-last-night-and-now-I'm-too-tired-to-really-smile photo of them in the line at the Philadelphia airport gate:


While they were heading south to sunny skies and warmer temperatures, we were having more of that white stuff again this morning.


Will it never end?  It wasn't much, but still it's there, proving that Old Man Winter has definitely got his heels firmly dug in and just won't leave yet.

Over the next two days I'll host my company, cook lots of food for the baby shower, and travel to and co-host the party.  Hopefully afterwards I'll have photos of all the things we've worked so hard on over the last several months.

For now, though, I'd better get back to checking and rechecking my lists.

1 comment: