jillgoes

jillgoes

Monday, January 21, 2013

Blue Monday

I just came across some nonsense on the internet about it being Blue Monday today.  Well, I use the word nonsense loosely.  Apparently there are some good pieces of advice out there about how this particular Monday should be used.

Supposedly Blue Monday is the name given to the Monday of the last full week of January.  This day is deemed to be the most depressing day of the year.  Wow.  Mondays are rough enough, but now we know that this Monday is the worst of all Mondays, and furthermore, of all of the days of the entire year!

Some ridiculous mental health oriented organization even has a formula for calculating this date.  Although my keyboard is incapable of typing fractions with exponents, I can tell you that the formula includes all of the following letters,  W, D, d, T, Q, M, N, a,  in a fairly complicated expression.  In their calculation,

     W  = weather
     d = debt
     T = time since Christmas
     Q = time since failing our new year's resolutions
     M = low motivational levels
     N and a = the feeling of a need to take action

     Of note is that D is not fully defined in this organization's "calculations."

Somewhere in my researching about this date designation, I think I also came across the mention of the name of a travel agency that may have something to do with it.  Funny thing.  I'm starting to get the gist of this.

So what is it we are recommended to do about Blue Monday?  The "experts" (whoever they are) are telling us to:

     1.  Plan a trip to someplace warm and tropical, someplace that makes us think happy thoughts.
     2.  Go shopping.

There you have it, folks.  It's simply a sneaky plot to take our money, one way or another.

I'm not at all depressed today.
I'm not gonna purchase a tropical trip today, nor any other trip for that matter.
I'm not even gonna go shopping.

Well, I am going to go spend some money though.

Here's what I will do on this Blue Monday:  I'm going to purchase some meat at the meat market (because we need some).

After that I'm going to stop at my eye doctor's office and ask them to fix my glasses.  Some kind of film is peeling off of my right lens, and I'm fairly blind as a bat without my glasses.

Pretty exciting stuff, huh?

Oh, and by the way, these same "experts" claim to already know which will be the happiest day of this year, too.  They haven't released the date yet, but in the past five years it has fallen very close to Midsummer.

I think they're a bunch of nuts.  Have a great Monday, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to the happiest day. I don't like downer days at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate things like this, where an ulterior motive, usually one involving OUR money, is realized after wasting our time reading something we thought was pertinent. ::gnashing of teeth:: heehee

    This one is awfully silly tho' - really? How do they know people have already "failed" at their resolutions and WHERE exactly do people that live in tropical areas, say Hawaii for example, go when they want to plan a warm weather vacation in a beautiful place? They already live in one of the most beautiful and warm places in the world. And aren't people actually relieved when Christmas is over? I know there is a bit of a let down, but poll any one of my friend and most will say they are glad the madness is only once a year and they loved it, but glad it's over.

    See? Who needs a scientist when you have me? giggle Besides, it's a proven fact that going on vacation and a money splurge are sure to lift anyone's spirits - it isn't rocket science.

    Now, wanna go shopping? heehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly of people to tell others when their most depressing day will be, or their happiest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had 79 degrees and wall to wall sunshine here in Mesa, Arizona........ Not a bit of Blue here unless it was the sky!!! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of official Blue Monday. Thanks for the info. I agree, some of them sound like nuts. I'm with Paul ~ I'm looking forward to happy days. Got to agree about the sunshine though. I think it helps especially when it has been cold rainy and dreary.

    ReplyDelete