jillgoes

jillgoes

Friday, November 1, 2013

The Halloweenies Took it All

Daughter Rachel's transformation
At 7:30 PM last night, which is exactly halfway through our town's three hour Trick or Treat schedule, I ran completely out of treats.

I had two large boxes of pretzel snack packs, that's 216 bags, and they were ALL gone.  The intersection just down the street from us looked almost like Time Square.  It was packed with Halloweeners coming and going.  A good majority of them were zombies.

So, I quickly went indoors and turned off my porch light, feeling sad that there were still so many kids out there that wouldn't be getting a treat from me.

Last year I ran out after 150 kiddos, and this year I knocked that record out of the park.  Wow!  This could get expensive.  I'm determined, though.  One of these years I'm gonna keep the shop open until 9:00 PM.

Even after watching 216 trick or treaters pass by our home, I still think, and I'm unbiased of course, that my grandkids are definitely the cutest.

Ellie, not quite 2 1/2 years old, got all decked out as the pumpkin girl for her town's Halloween parade the other night.


She rode her little bike with its additional stash of pumpkins cutely down the parade route.


Isn't she just the sweetest little pumpkin you've ever seen?

Then she got her first experience going Trick or Treating last evening.  For that, she dressed up as a swashbuckling pirate.


Shiver me timbers!  She can steal my loot any day!


Her mother tells me Ellie was hesitant at first to approach the houses.  But then, once she got the hang of it, she kept saying, "more, more?"  Candy'll do that to ya, I suppose.

Twin granddaughters Tori and Brianna, (7 years old), were not allowed to wear anything scary or involving face paint to school.  They appropriately dressed as nurses (their mother is an emergency room nurse), and here is one of them ready to go.  I'm not totally sure which girl it is, though!


The twins had a fairly frightening Halloween day at school, the way it sounds.  Apparently the entire school was in lockdown mode, due to a crazy man in a nearby field that was making dangerous threats.  Each classroom was locked and the blinds were drawn.  The girls told me how scared they were when they had to leave the classroom to go to the bathroom.  Nobody was in the halls and their classroom door was locked behind them.

It's sad that things like this have to affect our young ones these days, on a day that otherwise should have been filled with fun and happy activities.

For the evening trick or treating, Tori and Brianna transformed into scarier looks - a ghost and a vampire.


Sometimes even ghosts need their glasses:


All in all, and in spite of the rain, the husband/lover/supervisor of treats and I got a kick out of watching all the kids enjoying themselves.  I just need to plan on having even more treats for the crowds next year.

It'll be here before you know it.

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures of your adorable grandkids. Too bad about the lockdown...but glad everyone was safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you ran out of treats. The last years we had the house we were lucky if we got 15 treaters. Your grands are just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the grandchildren costumes...so much fun. We had no trick or treaters last year and this year we were out with the grandchildren so we turned off the front porch light before we left. That's alot of treats you handed out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids always look so cute-even in the scary outfits:)

    ReplyDelete