jillgoes

jillgoes

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Brunch and Books Club Launch

For the majority of my adult life, I've yearned to be in a book club.  It finally happened today.

I freely admit, there is practically no other pastime that trips my trigger as much as curling up with a good book and sailing away on some literary adventure for several hours.  Or days.

When my four kiddos were young (and when we were too poor to be able to enroll them in any sort of preschool or any other kids learning center), I searched regularly all over town and scoured all newspapers and billboards for interesting and free activities for my children to enjoy.

I discovered the local library had weekly story hours, and for all the years preceding their entries into public school, we were regulars at the Wednesday morning story time.

In the adjacent adults' library area, I often noticed posters advertising the upcoming selection for the ongoing book club there.  Month after month, I'd see the posters, and then wait until they announced the next book to read and discuss.  You see, I never felt interested in the books, authors, or genres they picked each time.  I wanted to read, and I always read a lot, but I didn't want to read that.

How great would it have been if I could've been in a book club in which I could always read the books of my choice.  I never found a club like that though.

Now, all these years later, the kids are grown up and have children of their own.  And I'm still wanting to belong to a Book Club.

I decided to stop waiting, wishing, and wanting, and finally make it happen, my way.  Today I launched the first meeting of the Brunch and Books club, meeting monthly in my home.

For an hour and a half, a small first group met here, and we each brought along a book we had recently read.  The sharing of the books was in the form of show and tell, and old fashioned library cards were on hand for club attendees to write down titles of those books that they want to put onto their book reading Bucket List.

When the folks arrived, we chatted for a bit, and then began with brunch around the kitchen table.  The menu was simple, consisting of a Cheesy Ham and Potato Breakfast Casserole, a colorful fruit platter, and some (February appropriate) chocolate dipped Valentine shaped Rice Krispy treats.  Coffee, tea, orange juice and tomato juice were available throughout the meeting.

After a brief discussion explaining my long term intent for the Brunch and Books club (to establish more relationships with neighbors and others outside of my present friendship circles), I challenged the people there to think of one person they may want to invite to come along to an upcoming gathering.

Next we went around the table, one by one, showing and sharing tidbits from the books we had brought or recently read.  There was no debating whether or not a book was good.  There was no fussing over which genre will be selected next month.  There was no quibbling about an author's true intent.  Each of us had read a book that we had selected because, for whatever reason, it appealed to us.  The variety was interesting.

It was fun to hear each of the reports, and several of the books went onto my book reading Bucket List.  The web address of a thrift store type book store was shared:  www.thrift books.com .  I may be doing some shopping there later this afternoon.

Together we had food, good conversation, good sharing, and I'm sure went home with some things to think about.  I look forward to seeing how this group will grow and evolve.

Have you ever participated in a monthly book club?  If so, how was your experience?

Would you be interested in this format for a book club?


No comments:

Post a Comment