jillgoes

jillgoes

Thursday, July 24, 2014

I've Finally Made That Controversial Decision

No more programming
Yesterday was the last day of our DISH television subscription.  Yes, we made the decision and cancelled our plan.

That means no tv for us here in our home.  None, zero, zippo, nada.

And do you know what?  We didn't even notice.

For about the last year, we have hardly watched any television at all, and it finally came down to a discussion about how much money was automatically being withdrawn from our account each month.  Although we were paying just about $90 per month, we were probably watching only about 50 cents worth of programming each month, if that.  Frankly, the decision was a no brainer.

Over one year, we will be saving nearly $1080.  That's money that could be enjoyed more by doing some extra traveling, seeing a few Broadway shows, or finding a few new adventures and memories.

Some folks could not imagine living each day without watching television, and I respect that.  For sure, watching or not watching TV is a highly emotionally charged and sometimes controversial subject.  I just chose to spend my time doing other activities.

However, for those of you that know me, you also know that giving up the TV was nearly a non-issue. As you might guess, I don't watch or listen to any news, and I don't read any newspapers or news magazines.  (I can hear you all gasping in horror!)

Why?  Because 99% of all published news has absolutely no bearing on my personal life or my personal goals, dreams, and ambitions anyway.  While most people spend hours reading and listening to hours of irrelevant garbage that clogs up their thoughts and drowns them in discouragement and fear,
I have simply chosen to live a different lifestyle.

As for the other 1% of news that does concern me, I've set up a few regular internet links that I can easily access, using at most 10 to 15 minutes a day.  This is how I've chosen to help guard the health of my mind and emotions.

As published in USA Today, a Nielsen survey reports that less than 5% of U.S. homes watch zero TV.  In 2007, there were 2,000,000 homes watching zero TV;  in 2013 there  were 5,000,000 homes that watched zero TV.  Of these homes, 75% have at least one TV connected to the internet, not to cable or satellite service.

So, I guess you could say that today is a new day for our TV-less household.  Although really, it seems pretty much just like yesterday.

As for that lovely satellite dish out there mounted up on our garage, when we asked the pleasant DISH customer service lady what we should do with it, she said, "Oh keep it.  That's yours.  We don't take them back.  Think of it as a souvenir of your days with DISH television.  Our gift to you."

Wee-oh!  Just what I've always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment