jillgoes

jillgoes

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Back to School Project

I would have to be blind to miss all of the ominous BACK TO SCHOOL preparations going on all around me.

Wal-mart has installed a special center aisle filled with pencils, notebooks, and other supplies right inside the entrance area.  There are school clothing sales being advertised everywhere you look, and my grandkids even notified me that they only have several weeks before....dun dun dun....school starts.

In fact, yesterday when they came over for the day, they were already wearing some of their new Back to School clothing.  Unbelievably, they quietly confessed that they are a little bit excited for school to start.

Recently I had come across a crafty article in the Fall 2014 issue of Do It Yourself magazine.  The featured craft was a Felt Pencil Roll, and with school approaching, I decided try making a few of these.  Besides that, I've been hankering lately for a reason to dust off my sewing machine.

The supplies for this craft are simple.  I needed several small pieces of felt, some colored pencils, about 10 inches of ribbon for each roll, and some matching thread.  Of course I needed my fabric scissors and a tape measure or ruler.


For each roll, measure and cut a 14 by 13 1/2 inch piece of felt.  My grandmother, who taught me how to sew many years ago, always said, "Measure twice, cut once."  She was a wise woman.


Turn up the bottom (along the 14 inches) and sew a 1/2 inch hem.  Then fold that side up to create the pencil pockets.  Pin it in place so that it measures 8 1/2 inches from top to bottom.  Now your roll should measure 14 by 8 1/2 inches.


Next measure and sew lines of stitching to create equally sized pockets for the pencils.  Be sure to backstitch at the top and bottom of each pocket for added durability.


To tie up the pencil roll, sew a length of ribbon at one edge.


Add your colored pencils, roll it up, and tie with a bow or loose knot.


I made three of these pencil rolls, and somehow two of them already walked away with the grandtwins.  I think they are practical and fun for kids, but pretty enough for adults to use, too.


So, to all those of you who are approaching that first BACK TO SCHOOL day, enjoy your freedom while you still have it.

It won't be long now.

No comments:

Post a Comment