jillgoes

jillgoes

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Scrabble Tiles Wall Decor

Some of the window treatment pieces, ready for the lodge
I decided to take another break from reporting on our recent Washington D.C. trip, to share with you all another little project I recently completed.

If you've been following this blog for any length of time, you may recall that back in the Spring, a long term building project was finally completed, and we spent a week moving furniture, appliances, and many other items into our new family vacation lodge.

One of my responsibilities with the new lodge was to construct all the window dressings.  I like to sew and create, so this was a good challenge for me.

This curtain left me with plenty of scraps.
Then, of course, there were plenty of leftover fabric scraps.  My grandmother, who years ago taught me much of I know about sewing, always found creative uses for all those leftover pieces.  So, when I looked at the scraps from those orange curtain pieces on the curtain in that photo above, and when I saw a large empty "something should be there" space in that bathroom wall, an idea came to me.

I gathered up the few supplies I'd be needing for this little project - a plain, square picture frame, some of the leftover orange fabric, scrabble-type wooden letters, and my trusty glue gun.


I had somewhere come across (or possibly made up, it's highly possible) a word that was new to me, and that always made me laugh when it came to mind, the word "deslobification."  I picture a bathroom as a place where one walks into it as a slob, cleans oneself up, and exits with all things in order = one is deslobified.  It is, therefore, a place of "DESLOBIFICATION."  Isn't that an awesome word?  I wonder if it's in any dictionaries, anywhere.  I'll have to check.

Anyway, next I made sure I had enough of the letters I needed for the message on my wall sign.


After that, I attached a piece of the leftover curtain fabric over the cardboard in the picture frame, and placed the letter tiles in the positions where I wanted them to be.


Being careful to keep the wooden tiles away from the border edges, I glued the letters in place and inserted the message into the frame.



There is it, simple and done.  A good use of the leftover fabric, and a quirky and fun addition to a very blank wall that needed a little sumthin sumthin.  It hangs right beside the bathroom vanity.


Do you think anyone will notice?


1 comment:

  1. Now that is a great word. I will have to remember that and use it, but of course, I am a slob, so I probably will never use it. . . (grin), but my wife will!!!

    ReplyDelete